For the past 28 years, the month of March has been dedicated to the importance of sleep - and how it affects our health. With the average person spending a third of their life in bed, having the right mattress is essential for a quality, refreshing night’s sleep, and, since it’s National Bed Month, there’s no better time to take the plunge and invest in a new bed for yourself.
Why is sleep so important?
A new, comfortable bed can provide an extra 42 minutes of sleep per night… That’s nearly 5 hours in a week! Sounds great, but why do we need more sleep?
- Less than 6 hours sleep per night is linked to chronic diseases such as diabetes, coronary heart disease, anxiety and even obesity.
- Quality sleep helps to keep the brain healthy and can help to fend off Alzheimer’s, cognitive decline and memory loss.
- Lack of sleep can lead to weight gain. When we’re tired we can consume up to 385 extra calories every single day.
- When we sleep, parts of our brain become more active, flushing out toxins and storing memories from the day.
But why do I need a new mattress to sleep better?
We are always told that we should replace our mattress every 7-8 years, but why? Well, here’s some eye-opening facts about your old, worn out mattress.
- Each night, we lose half a pint of fluid. We also shed a pound of dead skin cells in a year. Our mattress absorbs and harbours anything that comes in to contact with it, so we’re actually sleeping on a delightful concoction of bodily fluids and dead skin.
- Moisture from the fluid and the build-up of dead skin makes for a perfect habitat for dust-mites. A scary thought for anyone, but even worse for allergy sufferers whose health can be seriously affected by the pesky little mites.
- An old mattress will not give you the amount of support you require. It also won’t be very comfortable. Have you ever stayed in a hotel or friends and had a great night’s sleep? It’s probably because the mattress is better and newer than yours.
- An old, worn mattress can actually cause back pain. In America, back pain sufferers reported a 63% improvement after sleeping on a new bed.
- If your mattress is old, you’ll toss and turn more frequently, leading to a more disrupted sleep.
- The Furniture Industry Research Association has confirmed that a bed’s materials could have deteriorated by as much as 60-70% after 7 years.
Okay, so how do I choose a new mattress?
There’s so many mattresses on the market that you could spend the whole month researching and still not know which one to go for. It’s a big investment, and a few minutes laying on one in a shop is not an accurate reflection of 7 years of 6-8 hours per night sleeping on one.
Britain has a reputation for manufacturing some of the world’s best beds and mattresses, so don’t look any further afield when making your choice. Look out for the National Bed Federation approval. It’s easily recognisable with the ‘big tick’ logo and is awarded to British manufacturers after they have been independently audited to make sure they follow all the required procedures to produce safe, clean and hygienic mattresses.
The rise of online shopping means that the majority of mattresses are now available to have delivered right to your front door, without having to leave the house yourself. Make sure you choose a mattress that has a 100 day trial period so you have plenty of time to sleep on the mattress and make sure it is right for you.
Springs or Foam - Hard or Soft?
Most online mattress retailers offer a one-mattress-suits-all approach to sleep, claiming to have found the right balance between support and comfort - for everyone. If you and your partner have the same preferences and are roughly the same size then this approach might suit you. But what if your partner likes a soft mattress and you like a firmer sleeping surface? You’re a side sleeper but your other half lays flat on their back? You’re a little taller or a little bigger around the middle than your petite spouse?
We’re all different, and have different preferences when it comes to comfort. What feels like a cloud to you may feel like a brick to your partner, so how do you decide which one of you has to sacrifice on comfort?
The answer is - don’t decide.
Nobody should have to compromise when it comes to comfort. The Tweak mattress, manufactured by an approved NBF member, is the only solution for couples who have different preferences. The unique, seamless split-comfort design means you and your partner can both choose the firmness rating for your own side of the bed.
The 1,800 pocket sprung base provides support and bounce for the mattress, and the cool blue foam layer helps to regulate body temperature during the night. Add the removable, machine washable cotton cover and the split-comfort foam layer and you have the perfect mattress for couples, with no compromise on comfort.
Find out how you can try your own Tweak couples mattress for 100 nights at www.tweakmattress.com.